3 Way Solenoid Valves
Electric 3 Way Solenoid Valves are used for controlling the flow of water, air, vacuum or other low viscosity fluids. They are often found installed in automotive, medical, food processing, and general fluid control applications.
How Does a 3 Way Solenoid Valve Work?
3-way solenoid valves have three ports: an inlet port, an outlet port, and a third port used as an exhaust port. Like other solenoid valves, these are actuated by a solenoid that moves the plunger up and down to open and close the valve. The addition of the exhaust port provides an additional outlet not available in 2-way solenoid valves.
What Does the Exhaust Port Do?
A three way solenoid valve’s exhaust port is used to vent or release the pressure or fluid being controlled by the valve. With a normally closed 3way valve, the exhaust port remains open, allowing the trapped fluid or pressure to be released back into the system or atmosphere. This prevents unwanted pressure or fluid buildup that can damage the system or affect the accuracy of the media flow. Energizing the valve closes the exhaust port and directs the media from the inlet to outlet port.
Advantages of 3-Way Electric Solenoid Valves
- Flexibility - They are able to be configured in a variety of ways to control media.
- Energy efficiency - 3 Way solenoid valves are a cost effective choice compared to most other valve types, as they require less energy to operate.
- Reliability - Our brass 3-way valves are durable and long lasting, with few moving parts that reduces the risk of failure or malfunctions.
- Versatility - These are designed for use in a wide range of applications, including air, water, gas, and vacuum applications.
- Easy installation and maintenance - 3 Way electric solenoid valves are a convenient choice for control systems that are easy to install and require minimal maintenance.
- Fast response time - Three way solenoid valves can be opened and closed within milliseconds.
Example Applications of 3-Way Solenoid Valves
HVAC Systems - used to control the flow of hot and cold water. Quickly switching between the hot and cold water supply allows these valves to precisely control temperature and energy efficiency.
Irrigation Systems - helps automate the flow of water to different areas.
Automotive Industry - can be used to control the flow of coolant or flow of air in an engine.
Chemical Processing - controls the flow of different chemicals and fluids. They can easily switch between different chemical tanks or mix different chemicals in an automated and controlled manner.
Choosing a 3 Way Solenoid Valve
Factors to consider when selecting a 3 way solenoid valve for your system include flow rate, pressure and temperature requirements, electrical specifications, and media being controlled. For the media being controlled, we recommend checking with a chemical expert, or using our free chemical compatibility database in the Resources menu above. All other mentioned features are available on the product page for each valve on our website.
If you have any questions about selecting the right 3-way solenoid valve for your project, please don't hesitate to contact our customer service team for expert advice. Thank you for considering electricsolenoidvalves.com for your valve needs. We look forward to serving you.